The Mangione Magic Forum

Home | Contact | Search | Site Map

Forum | Profile | Active Topics | Members | PM | Search Forum | FAQ | Sign The Petition! (1711)
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Join Live Chat! Who's in Chat? Currently Empty

All Forums
 Other Topics - Non Mangione
 Other Trumpet Players
 Me playing The Last Post at Isurava PNG
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

satchmo67
Main Squeeze

jtar
Send satchmo67 a Private MessageSend PM
Australia

Posted - Jul 14 2014 :  06:37:03 AM  Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Visit satchmo67's Homepage  Send satchmo67 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This was a pretty special occasion for me last week, thought I would share....

https://vimeo.com/100676940

I have just returned from trekking the grueling 96km Kokoda Track, through the jungles of Papua New Guinea.

As a trumpet player I have played The Last Post many times over the years in Australia, but I could not pass through such a significant WWII battlefield without paying my respects the best way I know how. This is Isurava PNG, where a beautiful monument marks the sight of some of the toughest fighting and heaviest casualties of the Papua New Guinea campaign.

It was dawn a little after 6:00am on Thursday 10 July 2014, as the sun rose behind the mountain range at Isurava. The natural reverb of the valley can be heard as I play, as can a nearby stream. I played a "Storm" pocket trumpet that was carried along the Kokoda Track in my backpack. I couldn't find an appropriate bugle in time for the trek, and I was not prepared to drag my regular trumpet on a journey like that. Present for this unique dawn service was my son Brent Badger and other trekkers. After the service we continued our trek towards the village of Kokoda.
Report This Post

jwgilmore
Main Squeeze

mm_comAvatarPTC
Send jwgilmore a Private MessageSend PM
USA

Posted - Aug 07 2014 :  4:16:16 PM  Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Visit jwgilmore's Homepage  Send jwgilmore a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow very nicely done Gary! I don't visit the Forum as often as in the past so just now seeing it. Thanks for sharing!

John W. Gilmore
www.gilmoremarketing.com
www.modulationband.com

'Music is one of God's greatest gifts.' - Chuck Mangione
Report This Post Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Mangione Magic © 2006-2016 Mangione Magic Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

MangioneMagic.com