The Mangione Magic Forum

Home | Contact | Search | Site Map

Forum | Profile | Active Topics | Members | PM | Search Forum | FAQ | Sign The Petition! (1711)
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Join Live Chat! Who's in Chat? Currently Empty

All Forums
 Chuck Mangione
 Album / CD / DVD Reviews
 Main Squeeze
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

jimmyjazz
Main Squeeze

FlugelHead
Send jimmyjazz a Private MessageSend PM
USA

Posted - Aug 14 2006 :  8:26:39 PM  Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Visit jimmyjazz's Homepage  Send jimmyjazz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One of my favorite albums. Funny though, it does not feature any of his "quartet" members and features all of the New York Studio cats. I wonder if (in terms of personel) it was a transitional album. I know after this album he decided to go with a guitar player in his band so he could "play" more flugel. The tunes are all great of course:
The Day After-nice tune with the half time groove and the orchestral counter melody that went with it. Nice piano solo and flugel as well
If you know me any longer-As i have already disclosed in other posts-is one of my favorite (under-played) Mangione tunes. Some of Chuck's best improv work (always thought Alive might have been Chuck's best "jazz" playing)on this solo.
Love the Feelin'-Classic!
I get Crazy-Amen! Interesting tune..Catches you a little off gaurd! Faddis on that last note!! mama mia'!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Doin Everything with you-Great ballad..Nice solo.
Main Squeeze-great jam tune....
Funny enough-he played ALL of these tunes except (if you know me....)
at the Hollywood Bowl gig-and to be hinest, I loved all of those versions better! But to be fair, Hollywood bowl is my favorite album.
Let's hear what you have to say!!!!!!!!!

James Ingenito
www.jamesingenito.com
Report This Post

Jaja
Chuck's Roadie

Chuck17
Send Jaja a Private MessageSend PM
USA

Posted - Aug 14 2006 :  9:32:33 PM  Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Visit Jaja's Homepage  Send Jaja a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Was Main Squeeze released on cd? If it is I'll go look for it so i can put my two cents in on this one.

Fun and games just Feels so good when you're chasing clouds away on a journey to a rainbow.

Check out my ska band at
http://www.myspace.com/touchitskaband
and a clip of one of our shows
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRq63FOrQXY
Report This Post Go to Top of Page

Robert
Jazz Brother

Chuck6
Send Robert a Private MessageSend PM
USA

Posted - Aug 14 2006 :  10:20:13 PM  Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send Robert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like Main Squeeze a lot, too.

It has a heavier feeling to it than most of Chuck's other work. I think that's because of Steve Gadd. He is heavy handed on the drums. Listen to Requerdo from 70 Miles Young. (Correct me if I've got the wrong album.) There's nothing wrong with the heavyness. It just lends a different feeling beyond the writing and accompanyment.

'The Day After' does have that nice groove to it. The song starts off rather 'reflectively' then goes into that half time samba beat. Chuck's flugelhorn solo with the waa waa peddle really fits nicely with the tone of the song.....nice!

If You Know Me has one of my top 3 Chuck solos. I agree about the piano solo. Excellent work by Don Grolnick (again correct me if I'm wrong.)

I find it interesting that Chuck switched the order of the horns and strings in the 'finale' of 'I Get Crazy' from ' Main Squeeze' album to the 'Hollywood Bowl' album.'

Both versions of 'Doing Everything With You' are perfect.
When the topic of the Hollywood Bowl album came up last week I listened to it. I got a little emotional. It's been twenty' years since I picked up the flute to play a Chuck song. Playing Doing Everything With You' was a favorite piece....especially playing along with Vadala's sax solo in the Hollywood Bowl. 20 years....kind of bums me out now. I miss it.

I'd really like to hear a live version of Main Squeeze with Chuck and Organ. It's really hard to catch the nuances of the song with the quartet. (Heck it can't be easy for ONE sax to take the place of a whole organ....LOL)

In your world there was a KING, who once said, "I have a dream." Now there's a man who knew the secret.

fakrupp
One-Eyed Sailor

Send fakrupp a Private MessageSend PM

Posted - Aug 15 2006 :  9:36:56 PM  Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send fakrupp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank goodness for "Feels So Good," or Chuck's career might've ended with "Main Squeeze."

Think about it.

"Live at the Hollywood Bowl," is essentially Chuck's " Main Squeeze" live set. He toured with that set extensively, and then Bingo “Feels So Good” hit it big. “Sanchez,” and “Give It All You Got,” kept up the momentum for Chuck, but it hasn’t been the same since, sadly.

Still however among giants with hit songs with no words, Chuck is a Champ!

God Bless him for all of his many talents!

jimmyjazz
Main Squeeze

FlugelHead
USA

Posted - Aug 18 2006 :  1:35:51 PM  Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Visit jimmyjazz's Homepage  Send jimmyjazz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have never seen this recording on CD, though I believe a few on this board have seen it a while agao. I actually did a transfer from old record into my computer, and did some digital patchwork on it and put it on a cd a few years ago.
Something about this albim-the best studio players in NY of course..NO sax player...Great album!

James Ingenito
www.jamesingenito.com

fakrupp
One-Eyed Sailor

Send fakrupp a Private MessageSend PM

Posted - Aug 19 2006 :  09:14:52 AM  Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send fakrupp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
At first I thought, "No reed players on Main Squeeze. That's impossible." So I checked and sure enough, there are no reed players on the album.

Noticed Lew Soloff from Blood, Sweat and Tears and Jeff Tkazyik, who spells his last name Tyzik now. I'm pretty sure that Lew played on Chuck's Friends & Love and Together works.

BTW, Main Squeeze on CD does come up on eBay. $50-$80 is about the going rate, but I've seen it sell for just over $100. Beware of fake originals and copies. One seller claimed to sell the vinyl album with a CD-R copy of same.

Leatherlips
Administrator

MangioneMagic
Send Leatherlips a Private MessageSend PM
USA

Posted - Aug 19 2006 :  09:49:51 AM  Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Visit Leatherlips's Homepage  Send Leatherlips a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And if you're real lucky, you can get it for under $16.00 on eBay like I did recently!

"When music is honest and full of love, labels aren't important, and people listen with an open mind"
-Chuck Mangione
Check my profile to find out how to enter the hidden VIP Lounge of the Mangione Magic Forum.

jimmyjazz
Main Squeeze

FlugelHead
USA

Posted - Sep 23 2006 :  09:20:54 AM  Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Visit jimmyjazz's Homepage  Send jimmyjazz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That CD went for a lot of bread-it was up past $50 when I last looked. Too much..I took the audio of the record a few years agao and mixed and mastered it onto cd in my studio..That will have to do for now!
Peace........

quote:
Originally posted by fakrupp

At first I thought, "No reed players on Main Squeeze. That's impossible." So I checked and sure enough, there are no reed players on the album.

Noticed Lew Soloff from Blood, Sweat and Tears and Jeff Tkazyik, who spells his last name Tyzik now. I'm pretty sure that Lew played on Chuck's Friends & Love and Together works.

BTW, Main Squeeze on CD does come up on eBay. $50-$80 is about the going rate, but I've seen it sell for just over $100. Beware of fake originals and copies. One seller claimed to sell the vinyl album with a CD-R copy of same.

James Ingenito
www.jamesingenito.com

Skimmer43
One-Eyed Sailor

Maynard
Send Skimmer43 a Private MessageSend PM
USA

Posted - Sep 30 2006 :  5:34:29 PM  Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Visit Skimmer43's Homepage  Send Skimmer43 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Main Squeeze is my favorite too. Never really thought about why though. Robert describes it as a heavier sound, I'd say a "fuller" sound. Must be the horns. No reeds? Whoops, never even noticed. Yep, gotta be the horns. The title cut makes me want to get up and boogie, and I can't dance!!!!!!!!!!

Jaja
Chuck's Roadie

Chuck17
USA

Posted - Oct 07 2006 :  01:57:59 AM  Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Visit Jaja's Homepage  Send Jaja a Private Message  Reply with Quote
yeah i saw that. i was gona put in a bid but it was over 50$ so i didn't bid.

quote:
Originally posted by jimmyjazz

That CD went for a lot of bread-it was up past $50 when I last looked. Too much..I took the audio of the record a few years agao and mixed and mastered it onto cd in my studio..That will have to do for now!
Peace........

Fun and games just Feels so good when you're chasing clouds away on a journey to a rainbow.

Check out my ska band at

valenter
Chuck's Roadie

FunAndGames
Send valenter a Private MessageSend PM
USA

Posted - Oct 24 2006 :  09:16:31 AM  Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send valenter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When the LP came out, I bought a copy of it. Years later, before CDs, I bought another copy, when records would start to wear out after many plays. So, I bought Main Squeeze twice on LPs.

Leatherlips
Administrator

MangioneMagic
Send Leatherlips a Private MessageSend PM
USA

Posted - Oct 24 2006 :  10:19:47 AM  Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Visit Leatherlips's Homepage  Send Leatherlips a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Does anyone know why Chuck didn't use a sax player on this record? Was he "in between" guys at this point or was it a purposeful decision?

"When music is honest and full of love, labels aren't important, and people listen with an open mind"
-Chuck Mangione
Check my profile to find out how to enter the hidden VIP Lounge of the Mangione Magic Forum.

jimmyjazz
Main Squeeze

FlugelHead
USA

Posted - Oct 24 2006 :  9:52:22 PM  Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Visit jimmyjazz's Homepage  Send jimmyjazz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure..Don't forget, he did not use his touring band for this recording..All the musicians were the NY studio cats. The concept was probably Chuck with band accompany...
Funny, I just got an email from Chris Vadala 2 days ago, he said he flew out to LA to play a few gigs with Chuck........Nice to know he still plays with him..Chris is a great guy and great player..

James Ingenito
www.jamesingenito.com

Con Vito
Child of Sanchez

Con Vito
Send Con Vito a Private MessageSend PM
USA

Posted - Oct 25 2006 :  3:05:52 PM  Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Visit Con Vito's Homepage  Send Con Vito a Private Message  Reply with Quote
why did you get an email from chris?

"We're gonna conclude the first half of this basketball game..." Check out my music and voice samples at www.myspace.com/danconlin

jimmyjazz
Main Squeeze

FlugelHead
USA

Posted - Oct 25 2006 :  9:14:59 PM  Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Visit jimmyjazz's Homepage  Send jimmyjazz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have known Chris since my undergraduate days when he came as a guest artist at Florida Atlantic University. We ended up playing some of my charts and luckily he liked my playing and writing. He took a few of my charts to the U of Maryland where he teaches. We have hooked up in NY a few times (hopefully a few more!) for jazz clinics and I brought him in as a conductor for some all county jazz groups. He is great and if you ever get a chance to see or hang with him, it will be a memorable experience. He was part of the reason I moved back to NY.

James Ingenito
www.jamesingenito.com

Con Vito
Child of Sanchez

Con Vito
USA

Posted - Oct 25 2006 :  9:48:51 PM  Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Visit Con Vito's Homepage  Send Con Vito a Private Message  Reply with Quote
awesome! youre so lucky!

"We're gonna conclude the first half of this basketball game..." Check out my music and voice samples at www.myspace.com/danconlin

Jaja
Chuck's Roadie

Chuck17
USA

Posted - Oct 25 2006 :  11:59:07 PM  Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Visit Jaja's Homepage  Send Jaja a Private Message  Reply with Quote
dang thats awesome

Check out my ska band at

valenter
Chuck's Roadie

FunAndGames
Send valenter a Private MessageSend PM
USA

Posted - Oct 26 2006 :  09:19:39 AM  Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send valenter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have talked twice to Chris. Once in 82 after a Mangione concert and the other time, last year when he came to Arizona as guest of the Arizona State University Jazz Band. He was great both times and he is very greatfull when you pay him a compliment. After talking to him last year, he looked very sincere when he said -good seeing you and thank you for attending tonight's performance. He has great talent which I admire, and a very down to earth genuine person.

Con Vito
Child of Sanchez

Con Vito
USA

Posted - Oct 26 2006 :  10:44:35 AM  Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Visit Con Vito's Homepage  Send Con Vito a Private Message  Reply with Quote
man, how do you people get so lucky?

jimmyjazz
Main Squeeze

FlugelHead
USA

Posted - Oct 26 2006 :  3:49:35 PM  Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Visit jimmyjazz's Homepage  Send jimmyjazz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That is well put--Chris is a very genuine person. I am sure he took my jazz charts just to give me some confidence at the time. When I got to NY and had the opportunity to work with him, he remembered every bit of our past conversations etc..Every time I hear how effortless he plays, I go home and practice for 3 extra hours!

quote:
Originally posted by valenter

I have talked twice to Chris. Once in 82 after a Mangione concert and the other time, last year when he came to Arizona as guest of the Arizona State University Jazz Band. He was great both times and he is very greatfull when you pay him a compliment. After talking to him last year, he looked very sincere when he said -good seeing you and thank you for attending tonight's performance. He has great talent which I admire, and a very down to earth genuine person.

James Ingenito
www.jamesingenito.com

trumpetplayer4life
Rookie Member

Miles
Send trumpetplayer4life a Private MessageSend PM
USA

Posted - Jul 25 2007 :  10:49:45 AM  Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send trumpetplayer4life a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Quote quote:
Originally posted by Leatherlips

Does anyone know why Chuck didn't use a sax player on this record? Was he "in between" guys at this point or was it a purposeful decision?

I was gonna ask that too.

"I got Music in my Ears"

"Give it All You Got"

"Seek First to Understand...Then to Be Understood"

"Never give up"

myspace.com/musicscientist

VinylGuy69
Main Squeeze

Chuck29
Send VinylGuy69 a Private MessageSend PM
USA

Posted - Aug 09 2007 :  11:05:45 PM  Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Visit VinylGuy69's Homepage  Send VinylGuy69 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think this was very much a transitional record. He had just split with his previous quartet, and was about to form a new one. It is also the bridge between being known, and being very popular. The melodies are the strongest here then on any other album.

Jazz Vibraphonist/Drummer/Composer

www.mindopenband.com

jimmyjazz
Main Squeeze

FlugelHead
USA

Posted - Aug 19 2007 :  2:03:38 PM  Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Visit jimmyjazz's Homepage  Send jimmyjazz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This was a transitional album.. Don't forget-Main Squeeze and Bellavia came out pretty close together..my theory was that Chuck had alot of this music in his head, probably was not touring for a bit-back in NY-told A&M that he'd just do a "NY" record (has the class of NY studio musicians on the recording)...This was also the album that inspired him to get a Guitar in his group..
Just a theory......

James Ingenito
www.jamesingenito.com

Con Vito
Child of Sanchez

Con Vito
USA

Posted - Aug 19 2007 :  4:26:06 PM  Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Visit Con Vito's Homepage  Send Con Vito a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quite a theory there. specific too.

jimmyjazz
Main Squeeze

FlugelHead
USA

Posted - Aug 19 2007 :  5:10:43 PM  Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Visit jimmyjazz's Homepage  Send jimmyjazz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's not often that I actually have a theory!!!!!

James Ingenito
www.jamesingenito.com

jwgilmore
Main Squeeze

mm_comAvatarPTC
Send jwgilmore a Private MessageSend PM
USA

Posted - Aug 19 2007 :  5:19:18 PM  Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Visit jwgilmore's Homepage  Send jwgilmore a Private Message  Reply with Quote
HA!!... Works for me!

John W. Gilmore
www.gilmoremarketing.com
www.modulationband.com

'Music is one of God's greatest gifts.' - Chuck Mangione

petersonvictor
Rookie Member

Send petersonvictor a Private MessageSend PM
USA

Posted - Mar 31 2011 :  06:26:30 AM  Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send petersonvictor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Must be the horns. No reeds? Whoops, never even noticed. Yep, gotta be the horns. The title cut makes me want to get up and boogie, and I can't dance.....

assignment writing |assignment help | assignment writing
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Mangione Magic © 2006-2016 Mangione Magic Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000

MangioneMagic.com